Plas Brondanw 2641

Porthmadog, Wales

Brief Description

Plas Brondanw is an early- to mid-20th-century garden created by its owner Clough Williams-Ellis on a sloping site. The architectural design of the garden is influenced by Italian renaissance gardens and features compartments surrounded by topiary hedges and views to the distant mountains framed by axial hedging.

History

The original mansion at Plas Brondanw dates from the mid-16th century. The house was given to Clough Williams-Ellis by his father in 1908 and he made it his permanent home in 1938. The house was destroyed by fire in the 1950s and restored by Williams-Ellis.

Visitor Facilities

The gardens are open daily from 9.30am.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
Avenue, Topiary, Folly
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The gardens are open daily from 9.30am.

Directions

Plas Brondanw is situated off the A4085 just north of Garreg.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Llanfrothen
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People
Contact
References

References