Thomasson Park (also known as Mere Hall)6100

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This is a public park which was formerly Mere Hall. On the 1850 map, the hall with grounds is set in open fields to the north of Mortfield Bleach Works. There is an entrance lodge from Mere Hill. This leads to an irregular site in which the house is roughly central. There is a fish pond to the northern tip of the site.

History

The estate was purchased by Benjamin Dobson in 1836 from the Misses Elizabeth and Sarah Nuttal. Dobson built a new house and called it Mere Hall. The estate was eventually purchased by J P Thomasson who gave it, together with £5,000, to the town for use as a museum and public park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.
Features
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There is a fish pond to the northern tip of the site.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit