Halliwell Hall 6074

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The site has a hall with a small park to the north of Church Road (modern). Moss Lane lies beyond the field to the west, with open fields to the east. This forms a group with Halliwell Top and Moss Bank. There is a boundary belt with single trees and some clumps to north west and east. The hall was divided into a series of separate dwellings in the early part of the 20th century.

History

The hall was purchased by Roger Dewhurst, the elder. In 1715 it was inherited by his son, Captain Roger Dewhurst, and eventually sold by a kinsman, James Dewhurst, to Thomas Hardcastle of Firwood (see separate entry). The hall was divided into a series of separate dwellings in the early part of the 20th century.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit