Sunning Hill 6098

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The site has a house with grounds and small park to the south of St Helens Road. Swan Lane lies across fields to the east, and there are open fields on other boundaries. The site is roughly rectangular, with the house to the northern edge close to the road. The entrance gate opens on to a wide drive planted with shrubs.The house is of red brick with stone dressing. There are gardens to the rear facing out across open country.

History

The house was built in 1795 by William Carlisle, cotton spinner. The estate passed through a number of changes in ownership, but was eventually purchased by Josua Crook in 1861. By this time the London and North Western Railway from Atherton to Bolton passed through the park. The estate survived until the 1890s but the surrounding area was being developed.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is of red brick with stone dressing. It was built in 1795 by William Carlisle, cotton spinner.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The entrance gate opens on to a wide drive planted with shrubs.
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit