Moss Bank Park 6080

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This site is a public park. It was formerly a private estate belonging to the Ainsworth family. Victoria Lake lies to the north of the site. There are open fields to the west and south, and Moss Lane to the east. The site abuts the grounds of Halliwell Hall to the south-east.The site is a complex one and included bleach works as well as the domestic dwelling and park. The site had been used for bleaching cotton by the Ainsworth family since the mid-18th-century, the house and grounds being developed on the site as the process of bleaching became more industrialised and less land intensive.

History

The site included Moss Bank, which became the principal building and was built by Peter (II) Ainsworth between 1786 and 1790 and later extended. Lightbounds was also associated with the family. A brick tower was built by J H Ainsworth in the 19th century for his hobby of 'uranoscopy' or the study of heavenly bodies. The site was opened as a public park on 27th June, 1928. The house was demolished in 1951.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built between 1786 and 1790, and demolished in 1951.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Halliwell
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit