Enclosed by high brick walls, the burial ground has numerous regularly arranged tombstones set in grass with plane trees along the Kingsbury Road and south boundaries.
The Jewish Burial Ground was opened in around 1840 by the Reform Synagogue, who broke away from the Bevis Marks Sephardic cemetery; it is now owned by the West London Synagogue.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening appears to be unrestricted.
Detailed DescriptionThe Jewish Burial Ground was opened by the Reform Synagogue, who broke away from the Bevis Marks Sephardic cemetery. The first recorded burial was in 1843 and it was in use until 1951. Enclosed by high brick walls, the burial ground has numerous regularly arranged tombstones set in grass with plane trees along the Kingsbury Road and south boundaries. Among those buried here are many prominent members of the Jewish community such as the de Stern, Goldsmid and Mocatta families.
Mrs Basil Holmes, The London Burial Grounds, (London, 1896) p290; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998). See CemeteryScribes.com for a photographic record of the tombstones in the cemetery, completed by January 2010.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ISL041
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening appears to be unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Dalston Kingsland, Dalston Junction. Bus: 30, 38, 56, 277, 141
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust