Tamworth Castle Pleasure Grounds 4807

Tamworth, England, Staffordshire, Tamworth

Brief Description

The pleasure grounds of Tamworth Castle date from the 19th century, and incorporate a bandstand and processional avenue. The grounds surround the medieval castle, and overlie a 17th-century municipal park.

History

The 11th-century castle was occupied and renovated until the 18th century. A municipal park was opened perhaps as early as the 17th century, and the pleasure gardens in the present form date back to the 19th century.

Visitor Facilities

Tel: 01827 709629

Detailed Description

Notable features of the grounds include a bandstand, surrounded by stone beds, with effective bedding out. There is also an avenue to the river, which retains a ‘processional’ quality. It was once flanked by the now lost swimming pool and bowling green.
Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: The castle was founded in the 11th Century, and underwent continuous development until the 18th Century. It includes a stone keep and 15th-century Great Hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Bandstand
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: Processional avenue down to river.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Tel: 01827 709629
History

Detailed History

A motte and bailey castle was built between 1070 and 1080, with a polygonal stone keep added in the 1180s. Continuous alterations and additions were made until the 18th century, and the oak-timbered 15th-century Great Hall is of particular note.

The area around the castle - now the pleasure grounds - was a municipal park, reputedly as far back as the 17th century. Today's pleasure grounds date from the 19th century. Originally laid out just around the castle, they were extended down to the river in the 1930s. A bandstand was built in 1902, and originally there was also a swimming pool and bowling green (now lost).