Fisherwick Park 1334

Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, England

Brief Description

Following the 19th-century demolition of the house, gravel extraction has caused significant disturbance to the southern part of the landscape.There are though significant remains of the northern part of the park landscape, including the pre-Brown walled garden, remains of a neo-classical orangery (which has been badly truncated), ha-has, belt planting and the remains of bridges and cascades. The stables and sections of a service wing of the mansion also still remain, although these are in private ownership and not open.

History

Fisherwick Park was formerly the seat of the Earl, then Marquis, of Donegal, who also owned Antrim Castle. The park was laid out by Capability Brown in 1770 for the 5th Earl. There are watercolour views by John Spyers. Over 50,000 trees were planted, for which the Earl was awarded a medal from the Society of Arts.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Fisherwick
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Fisherwick Park

References

References

Contributors

  • Gareth Williams