Drayton Manor 7012

Tamworth, England, Staffordshire, Lichfield

Brief Description

Drayton Manor was demolished in the 1920s, leaving only the clock tower. The gardens and pleasure grounds are now completely subsumed by a zoo, leisure park and golf course.

History

The site was a former medieval deer park, the home of the Knollys family. In 1798 it was stated to have had a three storey Elizabethan banqueting house. A new house was built by Sir Robert Peel's father in about 1790. The architect was Robert Smirke. Sir Robert made extensive formal gardens in the mid-19th century, which were detailed in the sale catalogue of 1926.

Visitor Facilities

The site is now a theme park, open to the public, though very little of historic interest remains.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Drayton Manor was demolished in the 1920s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tower
  • Description: The clock tower is the only remnant of Drayton Manor.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is now a theme park, open to the public, though very little of historic interest remains.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Drayton Bassett
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Drayton Manor

References

Contributors

  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust