Fradley Hall (also known as Fradley Old Hall)4812

Lichfield, England, Staffordshire, Lichfield

Brief Description

Fradley Hall had extensive 18th-century gardens, now lost.

History

The gardens date back to the 1720s, but by the 19th century were under pasture. They are now lost.

Detailed Description

The original house was assessed at four hearths in 1666, and it is known to have been enlarged by 1720.

Today, it is in use as a private residence. Other than internal remnants of timber-framing, only the gate piers appear to date from the 18th century, though there is evidence of timber framing internally. Though records show the extent of formal gardens in the 18th century, by the 19th century much of the land was farmed, and today much is lost.

Features
  • Historic House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Directions

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Alrewas and
History

Detailed History

Fradley Hall was an early post-medieval timber-framed house. It was in the ownership of the Gilbert family until 1672. It then passed by marriage to William Goring of Kingstone, Uttoxeter, and to his son Henry in 1710. The house is known to have been enlarged by 1720.

Henry was Sheriff of Staffordshire by 1723. In 1726, the estate is said to have been a typical formal walled garden, with geometric quartering, gravel and grass walks, and ornamental canals. It was divided by hedges into a walled forecourt, pleasure ground, orchard, kitchen garden, and nursery ground. There are 171 varieties of fruit trees listed, as well as vines and fruit bushes, honeysuckle, pyracantha, jasmine and evergreens.

By the 19th century, the grounds were held by the Shaw family and were in use as a farm. The 1st ediition Ordnance Survey map shows the principal building surrounded by pasture and trees.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust