The cemetery's Gothic-style chapel was designed by E W Crickmay. A new mortuary has been erected by the entrance, and here bedding schemes are intact.
Sutton Cemetery was established in 1889 and retains the original boundary walls and Gothic chapel.
Visitor Facilitiesopens 8am weekdays/9am weekends/holidays; closes 4pm Nov-Jan; 5pm Feb/Mar/Oct; 7pm April/Sept; 8pm May-August
Detailed DescriptionSutton Cemetery was established in 1889 and retains the original boundary walls and Gothic chapel. Prior to this the area was open fields and farmland. The first burial took place that year, and among the more unusual monuments is a bronze harp within granite for Anna Sabatini (d.1929) and a headstone commemorating five munitions workers who died at the nearby Brocks factory in WWI.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=SUT057
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailsopens 8am weekdays/9am weekends/holidays; closes 4pm Nov-Jan; 5pm Feb/Mar/Oct; 7pm April/Sept; 8pm May-August
DirectionsRail: Sutton Common. Bus: 80, S3.
London Parks and Gardens Trust