Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Newport Castle (Castell Casnewydd) (also known as )


Newport Castle (Castell Casnewydd) is a ruined castle in Newport, Wales. It was built in the 14th century, probably by Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester or his son-in-law, Ralph, Earl of Stafford, with the purpose of managing the crossing of the River Usk.

The castle was built of Old Red Sandstone and local grey limestone. Originally, it was surrounded by a moat, within a "rectangular walled court".

The castle’s curtain wall was originally surrounded by a deep moat, which was filled with water at high tide – a key benefit of its riverside location.

The east side is the only part of the castle to survive. It has been a Grade II* Listed building since 1951.An inner ring road was built alongside the castle in 1970. The ruins of the castle were permanently fenced off in 2003, followed by the closure of the public footpath in 2006.

It has been closed since 2011, due to safety concerns.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

The castle was built between 1327 and 1386 by Hugh d'Audele or his son-in-law Ralph, earl of Stafford. It replaced an earlier motte and bailey castle on Stow Hill, near the cathedral.

In 1910, James Matthews, author of Historic Newport, wrote that the first mention of a castle in Newport was in 1126. William, Earl of Gloucester had a garrison established at the castle in 1171, but the following year the castle was destroyed by Iorwerth.

Features & Designations



    • Castle
    Key Information

    Principal Building

    Domestic / Residential