Stock House 3877

Yeovil, England, Dorset, North Dorset

Brief Description

The estate consists of house, gardens and deer park, much of which is thought to remain intact from the end of the 18th century.

History

The house dates from the early-18th century. Local oral tradition dates it to 1712.

Visitor Facilities

The gardens have open afternoons in April, June and September.

Detailed Description

The estate has many ancient trees and the remains of some avenues, which are enhanced by the backdrop of Brickles Wood.
Features
  • Dovecote
  • Description: The dovecote is formed of rubble walls with a tiled roof. Parts of it may date to the 14th century. There is a panel with the arms of the Lewys family, who occupied the estate in the 16th and 17th centuries. The dovecote was converted for use as a summerhouse in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house dates from the early-18th century. The date given here is based on local oral tradition.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: There is an 18th century summerhouse in Strawberry Hill Gothic style.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Ha-ha
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The gardens have open afternoons in April, June and September.

Directions

The site is 3 miles west of Sturminster Newton, on the A3030.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sturminster
History

Detailed History

The house appears to date from the early-18th century, with substantial alterations and enlarging after 1779.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Stock Gaylard Estate Office

    Stock Gaylard, DT10 2BG
References

References