Leweston Manor (also known as Leweston School, St. Antony's School)3858

Sherborne, England, Dorset, West Dorset

Brief Description

The garden was designed by Thomas Mawson after 1906. The site is now a girls' school.

Detailed Description

Substantial elements of Mawson's design survive, most notably the Glade and Belvedere. Although the overall design has inevitably been compromised by the needs of the school, the remaining work by Mawson and the surrounding 19th century parkland mean that this can be considered an important site.
Features

Style

  • Arts And Crafts
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sherborne
History

Detailed History

In 1906, Leweston was bought by G. Hamilton Fletcher, who commissioned Thomas Mawson to design the garden. The site has since become a Catholic independent school for girls.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People
References

References

Contributors

  • William Gueterbock

    1

  • Dorset Gardens Trust

    1