Berryleas, Elton 6265

Elton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Berryleas include many fine trees, lawns and clumps of trees and shrubs.

History

Berryleas was created in 1930 as a private residence for Sir Richard Proby.

Detailed Description

The house is surrounded by fine trees. A cedar on the lawn was planted by Faber who called Berryleas ‘that great Anglican parsonage'. Clumps of trees and shrubs were planted between the house and the river; gravelled walks to these plantations afforded pleasant promenades to which parishioners were admitted. Sadly these have all been destroyed, as have the 12 trees planted by Faber and called by him after the names of the Apostles.
Features
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clump
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Plantation
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Elton
History

Detailed History

This is a fine stone house built in 1930 for Sir Richard Proby, to a design by the architect Sir E. Guy Dawber in his sensitive neo-Cotswold style with mullioned windows and gables. On this site was The Old Rectory, a 17th-century house of Barnack and Ketton stone which was taken down in 1929. The Rev. F. W. Faber erected part of the boundary wall to the east of the entrance gates in 1843.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust