All that remains of the once extensive moat is a dry L-shaped ditch at the far end of the grounds. The current building dates from 1723, built for Sir Thomas Allen on a new site outside the moat, who also had gardens laid out. In 1984 the Manor House Centre for Judaism was opened, later renamed the Sternberg Centre for Judaism.
The Sternberg Centre is on the former site of Finchley Manor House, which once belonged to the Bishops of London and comprised a sizeable estate. A moated manor house is known to have existed by 1253, but there may have been an earlier house on the site. It was occupied by a succession of influential people and underwent numerous name changes over the years. The estate began to be broken up for development from 1849 and the house was leased as a school in both the C19th and C20th.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Finchley Central. Bus: 143
London Parks and Gardens Trust