Now designated a Nature Reserve, there are a variety of trees including Wild Service Trees associated with ancient woodland, although the trees here are generally no more than 175 years old.
Little Wood has existed as woodland for over 1000 years, probably part of land given to the Bishop of London in c704AD. When Hampstead Garden Suburb was being planned in 1907, its instigator, Dame Henrietta Barnett, was committed to providing green spaces within the housing, planting trees and preserving those that existed. When additional land was acquired to extend the Suburb in 1911, Little Wood was leased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and preserved as woodland. In 1920 an open air amphitheatre was built in the woods by the Play and Pageant Union, one of two drama groups that later merged to form the Garden Suburb Theatre. The theatre was restored in 1997. In 1933 Finchley UDC took on the freehold of the woods.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Golders Green (Northern) then bus. Bus: 102, 82, 260, H2.
London Parks and Gardens Trust