St Matthias College 3112

Bristol, England

Brief Description

St. Matthias College has semi-formal gardens. Features include sunken lawns, a high holly hedge and gothic-style listed buildings.

History

The college was formerly a Diocesan Training College built in 1852 by Joseph Clarke and John Norton. It is now a campus site for the University of the West of England.

Detailed Description

The garden is entered through wrought iron gates. These were dedicated on June 26th 1954 to commemorate the centenary of the college. There is a row of lime trees growing along the eastern boundary wall. A modern extension has been erected to the left of the entrance beyond the gatehouse. There are many trees in this area including a Judas tree, hollies and cherries. Clematis and wisteria are growing against the building. In the centre of the courtyard there is a large sunken lawn about the size of a tennis court, and probably used for that purpose. To the east of it there is a knot garden.

The northern part of the site is marked as an orchard on the map. Several fruit trees still stand behind the new buildings. A north-south aligned wall is overgrown with hazel and ends at the north boundary near a weeping ash tree. This part of the grounds is not well-maintained.

The holly hedge is also notable. It is at least ten feet high. It runs around a small car park to the north of the main entrance.

The grounds are looked after by a small team of gardeners. New buildings have been built at the north side of the site, destroying some of the old orchards. When the site was last surveyed (1985), the knot garden was unplanted.

Features
  • Gateway
  • Description: The garden is entered through wrought iron gates. These were dedicated on June 26th 1954 to commemorate the centenary of the college.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: There is a row of lime trees growing along the eastern boundary wall.
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Description: In the centre of the courtyard there is a large sunken lawn about the size of a tennis court, and probably used for that purpose.
  • Knot Garden
  • Description: To the east of the lawn there is a knot garden.
  • Orchard
  • Description: The northern part of the site is marked as an orchard on the map. Several fruit trees still stand behind the new buildings.
  • Hedge
  • Description: The holly hedge is at least ten feet high. It runs around a small car park to the north of the main entrance.
History

Detailed History

The college was built in 1852 and became a Diocesan Training College for female teachers. More recently, it has become part of the Polytechnic. Halls of residence were built as well as an enlarged refectory.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to St Matthias College

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • University of the West of England

    Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, BS16 1QY