Fishponds Park, Bristol 1337

England, Bristol, City of

Brief Description

Fishponds Park is a small municipal park by Stepleton Urban District Council, laid out in 1887-88. The site is flat with shrubberies and informal planting. Features include a drinking fountain and a statue.

History

The park was absorbed by the City in 1897 on a site contiguous with St Mary's Churchyard.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Terrain

Flat

Detailed Description

Fishponds Park is laid out on a flat site of uneven shape. It is bordered with shrubberies and crossed by paved footpaths. Trees are planted informally across the site and there is a group of weeping ash trees in the centre of the park. Close to the main entrance of the park there is a drinking fountain. Behind this there is a statue.

Fishponds Park is maintained by the Parks Department of Bristol City Council. The grass is cut regularly and the park is kept clean and tidy.

Features
  • Fountain
  • Description: This is a drinking fountain. It has a pennant stone arch with marble basins. It commemorates the opening of the park in 1888.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Statue
  • Description: This is a statue of a British infantryman on a large stone pedestal. It commemorates the victory of Allied forces in the 1914-18 war.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.

History

Detailed History

The site of Fishponds Park was purchased by Stapleton Urban District Council in 1887. It was laid out as a pleasure ground in 1888. It was taken over by Bristol City Council in 1897.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Owners

  • Bristol City Council

    The Council House, College Green, BS1 5TR
References