Glenside Hospital 1453

Bristol, England, Bristol, City of

Brief Description

This record refers to Glenside Hospital, one of two neighbouring hospitals with contiguous grounds. There is 19th-century parkland with mature specimen trees and a lime avenue dating from 1870. The site is now the Glenside Campus for the University of the West of England.

History

The land for Glenside Hospital was bought in 1857 and the hospital was built in 1861.

Visitor Facilities

Glenside is now part of the University Campus. An old church on the site houses the Glenside Hospital Museum, which is open from 10am to noon on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Please see:

http://www.glensidemuseum.org....

Detailed Description

Both this site and the adjacent Manor Park Hospital are crown property administered by Frenchay Area Health Authority. Glenside is set in attractive parkland with fine specimen trees, particularly bordering Blackberry Hill. The woodland riverside walks of the two hospital sites are contiguous. At Halfpenny Bridge they meet the ornamental woodland of Oldbury Court (now in city council ownership). The north bank of the River Frome is a public open space known as Snuff Mills, in the care of Bristol City Council.

The Former Isolation Hospital is an example of Victorian ‘railway architecture', with overhanging eaves, barge-boards, cast-iron posts and veranda supports. The roof-ridge of this one-storey building is capped with decorative ridge tiles and finials. Glenside Hospital is built of pennant stone with ashlar quoins and window and door surrounds ornamented with balusters. Slate roofs are decorated with finials and stone chimneys. There is an Italianate clock tower overlooking the complex of buildings. None of these buildings are listed, though there is a good case for them to be so.

The large are covered by the two hospital sites, the extensive use of local stone in their construction, the ornamental woodland walks by the river and the mature trees mean that Glenside and Manor Park Hospitals contribute much to the character of the environment of the Stapleton and Frome Valley Conservation Area.

Both sites are well-maintained by a team of gardeners. The wooded slopes down to the River Frome were rejuvenated in the 1980s by a Manpower Services team after many years of neglect. The clearance work has uncovered original footpaths and retaining walls and seats.

Features
  • Hospital (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tower
  • Description: Italianate clock tower.
Tree Avenue
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Glenside is now part of the University Campus. An old church on the site houses the Glenside Hospital Museum, which is open from 10am to noon on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Please see:

http://www.glensidemuseum.org....

History

Detailed History

Glenside Hospital was built on land adjacent to the Stapleton Institution. The land was bought in 1857, and the hospital was built in 1861. It was named the Stapleton Lunatic Asylum under the direction of the government. Considering that the Corporation had been impelled to comply with government regulations, a fine job was made of the buildings and grounds. It is not known whether the woodland walks were laid out at the time of the original building, though stone-work ventilator shafts for the sewers and inspection chambers are in similar style to the hospital block.

During World War 1, the Stapleton Lunatic Asylum became the Beaufort War Hospital for War wounded.

It was absorbed as Glenside Hospital by the NHS after World War 2, and was used for the treatment of the mentally ill.

In 1986 the dairy and farm buildings were demolished to make way for a new high-security ward for the dangerously deranged.

The site now also houses the Faculty of Health and Social Care for the University of the West of England.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • University of the West of England

    Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QY
References

References