Frenchay Park House is an 18th-century Grade II listed building. The stable block to the north-west of the house dates from 19th century and also listed grade II. Much of the parkland associated with the house is now covered by Frenchay Hospital.
A house on the site was originally owned by Alderman Deane in 1780. The house was extended and the park reached its maximum size under William Tanner who inherited the property in 1864.
The house and parkland lie within the Frenchay Conservation Area of South Gloucestershire. The house is English Heritage listed grade ll (listing last updated 24/09/10). Similarly the stable block is also listed grade ll (listing last updated 24/09/10) but is sadly semi-derelict.
The main area of parkland still remaining lies to the south-west of the house, separated from it by a brick-faced ha-ha and 20th-century tennis courts. The main drive of the hospital from the junction of Bristol road and Frenchay Park road leads to the house and is bordered by a fine avenue of lime trees. Although some are missing from the left hand side, a row of more recent lime trees are growing parallel to those on the right hand side, adjacent to the open area used by the hospital helicopter. There are many mature and specimen trees surrounding this area and in front of the house.
To the south-east of the house where the ground is terraced there is more parkland with specimen trees. Beyond this there is a wilder area used as a nature reserve.
Two gate lodges exist. One is now used by the charity CLIC. The other, originally a house used as a lodge, is now used as Frenchay Museum.
Record created: 27/07/2007
Record updated: 24/01/12
Specimen Tree, Ha-ha, Avenue
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe hospital lies off the M32 junction 1, following the B4058.
- Stoke Gifford
Alderman Deane owned a house on the site in 1780. A subsequent owner, George Worral, enclosed an avenue of elms on Frenchay Common and made some additions to the park. He died in 1860 and his wife in 1864, and both are buried in Frenchay churchyard. The park was then brought up to its present dimensions by William Tanner, Attorney at Law, who had built the church. He had inherited the property in 1864. William Tanner died in 1867.
Frenchay Park then had a number of owners until it was conveyed to Bristol Corporation in the late-1920s. The Health Committee converted it into an Orthopaedic Hospital for children; extensive additions were made in order to provide open-air treatment. The Hospital was formally opened in 1931. During World War 2 the American Army was granted use of the site and greatly developed it. It reverted to the National Health Service after the Americans ceased to have need of it. The house first became a nurses' home and currently is the headquarters of the North Bristol Trust.
References: John Lucena A Grand Tour of Frenchay 1981, p29.
C.Elliot Winterbourne 1956, pp113,114.
Winterbourne W.I. guide A Short Description of Frenchay Hospital post WW2 1983, p23.
South Gloucestershire PCT
Avon Gardens Trust