The church is now used as a community centre. The overgrown churchyard has been cleared and laid out as a garden, and contains a number of significant monuments.
St Matthias Church started life as the East India Company's Poplar Chapel, built between 1650-54 at the site of the Company's Almshouses in Poplar. It may have been the first place of worship in the area. After the Company's property transferred to the Crown in 1858, the church then served the new parish of St Matthias. Due to declining congregations, in 1976 it was decided to close the church, which subsequently became neglected, the building and its churchyard vandalised. It was restored and re-opened in 1993.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsDLR: All Saints, West Ferry, Poplar, Blackwall. Bus: 15, 115, 40, D6, D7, D8.
Official WebsiteClick Here
St Matthias Conservation Trust Ltd
London Parks and Gardens Trust