The hospital buildings are sited around a central garden and connected to each other by loggias that traverse the gardens. Later landscaping included a more formal garden in front of the neo-Georgian Administration Block. In 1993 a new Special Needs Unit was built as a result of which some of the shrubberies were lost and trees felled, although some new planting was carried out.
St Luke's Hospital was founded in 1751 by St Luke's Charity, which played an important role in early treatment of mental health, initially having an asylum in Upper Moorfields, before moving to Old Street. It re-located to the present site in 1927 when the hospital authorities purchased three C19th villas and their gardens on Woodside Avenue.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open by appointment only.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open by appointment only.
DirectionsTube: Highgate (Northern) then bus. Bus 43, 134.
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust