A large pond in the centre of the wood was replaced by a concrete paddling pool and refreshment pavilion in 1935, now disused. The Keeper's Lodge was restored in 1998 and used as a Café.
A remnant of the Great Forest of Middlesex, this was once called Churchyard Bottom Wood and was reputedly the site of a plague pit. Following a two-year campaign, it was purchased in 1898 by Hornsey Local Board from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners who were about to sell it for development. Re-named Queen's Wood in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, funds were then raised for drainage, fencing and other works such as a Keeper's Lodge. The wood was opened 'for the free use of the public for ever' on 23 July 1898.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Highgate (Northern). Bus: 43, 134.