Closed to burial in 1854, the site was eventually laid out as a public garden in the 1880s with trees, paths and a drinking fountain.
St John's Garden is the former burial ground of the Church of St John Clerkenwell, the quarter acre of land having been given for the purpose by a John Mitchell in 1751 in order to supplement the churchyard off St John Street. Plaques are set into the old wall in the garden that once divided the original burial ground from back gardens of adjoining houses.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Farringdon (Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, Circle). Bus: 19, 38, 55, 153, 341
London Parks and Gardens Trust