The site was acquired in 1933 and partly built over in the 1940s for the Medical School although a fragment of the East Cloister walk remains. There are a number of green spaces within the Charterhouse Square Campus.
St Bartholomew's Medical College was established in 1843, attached to St Bartholomew's Hospital at West Smithfield, the oldest hospital in London, where records of medical students date back to 1662. It became a college of the University of London in 1900 and in the 1930s established a residential college with premises at Charterhouse Square. St Bartholomew's Medical College Green was once part of the Great Cloister and grounds of The Charterhouse, a C14th Carthusian Monastery. The site was later the bowling green and garden of Howard House, and then a school set up by the Merchant Taylors' Company.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail/Tube: Barbican (Metropolitan, Circle, Hammersmith & City). Bus: 4, 56, 55, 153.
London Parks and Gardens Trust