This formal Victorian rose garden has geometric rose beds centred upon a terracotta tiled circular canal surrounding an arbour of bay. There is an avenue of limes at the south end of the garden, and a wrought iron gate in the west wall. It was restored with the help of the Welsh Historic Gardens Trust to celebrate its centenary in 1999. Roses were donated in comemmoration of loved ones, and plaques record the donors.
The rosery was laid out in 1899 with over a hundred varieties of rose in 17 formal beds centred upon the circular moat and a central arbour of bay. It was redesigned to save labour in 1947, and then replanted and returned to its original splendour in 1999.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is now an open air museum, with several reconstructed buildings in the parkland. The site is open daily from 10 until 5. More information
- Plant Type
- Rose Garden
Water Feature, Trellis, Arch
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is now an open air museum, with several reconstructed buildings in the parkland. The site is open daily from 10 until 5.
DirectionsThe site is off the A4232, 4 miles west of Cardiff.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People