Rookwood Hospital 2840

Llandaff, Wales

Brief Description

Much of the informal gardens of a substantial Victorian town house remain extant. Planting includes some fine specimen trees. There is also an unusual summer house, possibly of 18th-century date. This may have originally stood in the grounds of Cardiff castle and may have been re-erected here.

History

The house and gardens were laid out between 1866 and 1902.

Features

Style

  • Informal
  • Town House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is a substantial town house built of red Radyr stone. It was originally called 'Rookwood', and went into use as a hospital in 1920.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: The summerhouse is thought to date from the 18th century.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Llandaff
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Owners

  • Cardiff Community Health Council

    Ground Floor, Park House, Greyfriars Road, CF10 3AF
References

References