Coedarhydyglyn (also known as Coedriglan)874

Cardiff, Wales

Brief Description

Coedarhydyglyn is a Picturesque early-19th-century landscape park surviving in its entirety. The walls of a late-18th-century kitchen garden survive. There is a woodland dell with a Japanese flavour, possibly designed by Alfred Parsons and partners in the early-20th century. The woodland contains notable planting of conifers and rhododendrons, with part of it planted as a pinetum in the 1940s and 1950s.

History

The present house was begun in 1820, replacing an earlier structure nearby, and it is likely that the landscape was laid out at the same time. There was further development of the garden during the 20th century.

Detailed Description

It is likely that the park was also created in the 1820s. Two drives were constructed at this time, and a lodge near the entrance is known to have existed by the 1840s. A formal garden was made near to the house, but its extent was constrained by the site's topography. The site remained fairly unchanged until the early-20th century, when Llewellyn Edmund Traherne gave the garden his attention upon his retirement from the Navy.

A woodland and water garden was created in Japanese style in The Dell at the south of the house. Features include a pool, cascade, Japanese bridge and tea house, as well as exotic planting. In later years, Sir Cennydd and Rowena Traherne put considerable work into the woodland on the estate, planting a cypress garden and pinetum, as well as rare specimens of rhododendron in the woodlands. The estate is now in the hands of Rhodri and Annabelle Traherne.

Features
  • Villa (featured building)
  • Description: The house is a substantial neo-classical regency villa.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Cypress garden.
  • Planting
  • Description: Woodland and water garden known as 'The Dell'.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden. The internal features are gone but the enclosing walls remain.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: Swimming pool.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: Two drives.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: Japanese style.
  • Tea House
  • Description: Japanese style.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Pinetum.
Stream, Cascade
History

Detailed History

The site is recorded as ‘Reglines Wood' in 1540. It had become part of the Cardiff Castle estate in the 1490s, and remained so until the 1720s when it was sold to a London lawyer called Abraham Barbour. From him, the property passed to the Llewellin family, who were local gentlemen farmers.

It was John Llewellin (1716-1786) who replaced the late-medieval house with a grander modern building in 1767. A new site was chosen, close to the old woods of Coedriglan. Building began in May of 1767, and there is an account of the building from 2 August of that year by the local diarist, William Thomas. There is little description of the finished house, although a newspaper advertisement from 1813 described the ‘beautiful lawn' within which the house stood, and noted also the ‘excellent walled garden'.

For reasons unknown, a new house was built only just over 50 years later. The house was built in 1820 by the Reverend John Montgomery Traherne, in a sheltered area in a deep valley only a quarter of a mile from the previous house. The architect is thought to have been Edward Haycock. The previous house was demolished but the walled kitchen garden was retained. The internal features are gone but the enclosing walls remain.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Coedarhydyglyn

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References