Spring Park is remnant ancient woodland and meadowland now within the West Wickham and Coulsdon Commons group managed by the Corporation of London.
Once part of the much larger West Wickham manorial estate, owned by the Lennard family from the C16th, the site was conveyed to the Corporation in 1926 and 1927 to be held in perpetuity as public open space. Accessible from Spring Park is Cheyne Wood, which from 1901 was part of private landscaped grounds of Stramshall Lodge, formerly within the manorial lands. From 1927-50 this was the Children's Heart Hospital and from 1957-89 became part of Cheyne Hospital. After the hospital closed most of the grounds were built over apart from this remainder of the former landscaped woodland where badger setts were found, which was acquired by Bromley Council in 2004.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Cheyne Wood only accessible through Spring Park.
DirectionsRail: Hayes then bus. Tramlink: Addington Village. Bus: 119 (Corkscrew Hill), 314, 353 (Addington Road)
London Parks and Gardens Trust