Apart from 1940-51 when it was ploughed for wartime food, the site has been used as playing fields for rugby and football, with a miniature golf course added in 1964/6.
Sparrows Den was managed as pasture and arable land from at least 1632, when a survey showed it as 'Bourne feilde' crossed by a stream, the Wickham Bourne. In 1934 permission was given by the Ministry of Health for 31 acres of land to be purchased for recreational purposes by Bromley Rural District Council. Since then it became known as Sparrows Den.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hayes then bus. Tramlink: Addington Village. Bus: 119, 314, 353
London Parks and Gardens Trust