Snaresbrook Crown Court is the former Infant Orphan Asylum built by Sir Gilbert Scott, set in an informal landscape garden on the south side of Eagle Pond, Epping Forest. The grounds have fine cedar, oak, horse chestnut, ash, Scots pine, holly, yew and rhododendron, with sloping lawns to Eagle Pond.
The foundation stone was laid by Prince Albert in 1841 and it was opened on 5 June 1843 by Queen Victoria's uncle, Leopold King of the Belgians. By 1880 3,000 orphans had been 'boarded, clothed, nursed and educated' by the charity. A design of 1841 shows landscaping before the buildings were erected, including island bed and paths. The orphanage was renamed Royal Wanstead School in 1938 and eventually closed in 1971.
Visitor FacilitiesThe pedestrian entrance is open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe pedestrian entrance is open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.
DirectionsTube: Snaresbrook (Central). Bus: W12, W14
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust