George Green is a remnant of village green within Epping Forest and was once part of the grounds of Wanstead House (Wanstead Park). Today George Green is an open green space maintained by the Corporation of London’s Conservators of Epping Forest, crossed by a single diagonal path and with a few trees, including three notable Spanish chestnuts (C17th-18th), ash and horse chestnuts.
In the late C19th a small triangular drinking fountain was erected by the parishioners of Wanstead to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (1897), which has been moved a number of times as a result of road widening schemes.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Wanstead (Central). Bus: 66, 101, 145, 308, W13, W14
London Parks and Gardens Trust