The yellow brick church is in Italianate Romanesque style and, surrounded by its churchyard, is approached from Epping Forest abutting common land. Now closed for burials, the graveyard has numerous headstones in a natural, semi-wild setting with mature trees including oak, horse chestnut, yew and holly. In spring some of the tombs are literally covered with snowdrops.
St Peter-in-the-Forest is one of a number of 'daughter' churches to St Mary Walthamstow founded in 1840 in recognition that parts of the growing parish lay over 2.5 miles from the parish church. It was sited strategically on the fringe of the busy Wood Street area and serves an area known as 'The Forest'.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Snaresbrook (Central). Rail: Wood Street Walthamstow. Bus: 20
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust