Shrubland House, Fordham 4120

Fordham, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Shrubland House include hedges, many specimen trees and woodland.

History

Shrubland House was established in the late-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The gardens surrounding Shrubland contained a wealth of trees, which were available at the Townsend's nursery. The yew and holly hedges with their topiary still remain beneath the cedars, Wellingtonias, cut leafed beech, silver lime and weeping ash. The nursery area is now reduced to 16 hectares (40 acres) and behind the rear garden of Shrubland House is Townsend Wood. The Wood is 1 hectare (2.5 acres) of mixed deciduous and conifer wood managed by the Woodland Trust.
Features
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Fordham
History

Detailed History

In 1864 George Townsend had established himself as a nurseryman in Fordham, and by 1875 he had extensive nurseries and a seed growing establishment. In 1883 with his brother John and his son George, they owned 120 hectares (300 acres) of nursery land to the west of Market Street.

Their house, ‘Shrubland' was built in 1893 and was surrounded by gardens.

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust