Sandford Hall 6558

Sandford, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Sandford Hall features a house and grounds of the 18th and 19th centuries. West of the Hall there is Sandford Pool, a large pond. In Sandford Pool is an island, and there are smaller pools, probably fishponds, north of the Hall. Around the Hall are woods or shrubberies, on the northern side of which was a 'tumulus.'

History

Sandford Hall is an early-18th century red-brick house surrounded by grounds. The gardens are first shown on maps of 1889, but probably were in existence earlier. The house and grounds are currently used as a country house hotel and activity centre.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Sandford Hall is a five-bay, two-storey house of red brick with stone quoins. There is an added wing on the right of the front facade.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: Sandford Pool is a seven-acre lake to the west of the hall.
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There were also several smaller fishponds to the north of the house.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Prees
References

References