The site was developed for housing after 1997. A condition of planning permission was the creation of a new public open space, and this was laid out incorporating a war memorial wall that contained fragments of the old hospital masonry.
Although Royal Northern Gardens is a new park created in 2002 it is on the former site of the Royal Northern Hospital, which opened here in 1888. A new Casualty Department was opened in 1923 following WWI as a war memorial to the people from Islington who died during the war. The hospital later transferred to Whittington Hospital and most of the old buildings were demolished in 1997.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Holloway, Archway. Rail: Upper Holloway. Bus: 17, 43, 263, 271
London Parks and Gardens Trust