The lawn that takes up most of the garden is retained by low stone edging, and has a triangular bed within it with some planting. A perimeter path surrounds the lawn, with niches for benches surrounded by privet hedging, shrub beds to the boundary railings and trees along the boundary. The garden now has community maintained flower and shrub beds and in 2010/11 was a Green Flag Community Award Winning Park.
The freehold of Penn Road Gardens was acquired by Islington Borough Council in 1921 and an Act of Parliament of 1906 prevented building on the enclosure in the lifetime of Lord Islington. In 1928 the garden was described as a 'triangular area attractively laid out with well-kept lawn, flower beds, shrubs, well grown trees'.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Caledonian & Barnsbury. Tube: Holloway Road (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 17, 91, 259, 393
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust