Putney Lower Common Cemetery 2726

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Putney Lower Common Cemetery was designed by Barnett and Birch and opened in 1855. There are a variety of trees including yew and the cemetery is wooded towards the north where the boundary wall abuts Barnes Common.

History

In 1855 3 acres of land of Putney Lower Common were bought by the local Burial Board from Earl Spencer, Lord of the Manor, for this small cemetery.

Visitor Facilities

Nov-Feb: Mon-Sat 8am-4pm/Sun 10am-4pm; Mar/Oct: closure at 5pm; April/Sept: closure at 6pm; May - August closure at 7pm. Christmas Day 10am-1pm

Detailed Description

In 1855 3 acres of land of Putney Lower Common were bought by the local Burial Board from Earl Spencer, Lord of the Manor, for this small cemetery. It was established by 1858 on the edge of Putney Lower Common and Barnes Common, and remains visually part of these open spaces. It has ornate railings and gates on Lower Richmond Road, and is otherwise bounded by brick wall, with intermittent railings along the east. The rag stone chapels and lodge were designed by Barnett and Birch in 1855 and built by a local firm of builders, W and R Aviss, whose family tomb is in the cemetery. There are some interesting historic tombs, including that of Sir Alfred Dryden (d.1912), a descendent of John Dryden, the poet. The cemetery is now closed for burials except within privately owned graves. There are a variety of trees including yew and the cemetery is wooded towards the north where the boundary wall abuts Barnes Common.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=WND038

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Nov-Feb: Mon-Sat 8am-4pm/Sun 10am-4pm; Mar/Oct: closure at 5pm; April/Sept: closure at 6pm; May - August closure at 7pm. Christmas Day 10am-1pm

Directions

The cemetery can be accessed from Mill Hill Road, east of the A306 at Barnes. Rail: Barnes. Tube: Putney Bridge (District) then bus. Bus: 22, 265
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Putney Lower Common Cemetery

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust