Riverside Walk Garden is on a triangular site bounded by Millbank and the Thames, overlooked by a row of terraced houses c.1843-45, part of Thomas Cubitt's Pimlico development. The public gardens were created in 1965 when Riverwalk House was built, but underwent a complete re-landscaping in 2004, the new design reflecting the site's historical associations with the river and repositioning Henry Moore's bronze sculpture 'Locking Piece', on loan since 1968.
Millbank is named for the mill that stood here until 1730 when it was replaced by a private house, itself later demolished when the Millbank Penitentiary was built. Prisoners were held waiting deportation to Australia, and one of two large bollards remains, marking the gateway through which prisoners passed before boarding boats to Australia.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Pimlico (Victoria). Bus: 87
London Parks and Gardens Trust