Many of the old gravestones were stacked against the perimeter with a few choicer monuments left in place. The garden is raised, surrounded by railings and contains some fine trees. The lawn is traversed by paths, with a central fountain and pool installed in 2001, to replace the C19th one that had become derelict.
St John's Gardens is the former burial ground of St John's Smith Square, which was consecrated in 1731. It soon became overcrowded and an extension was acquired in 1823, but later closed to burials in 1853. The former burial ground was laid out as a public garden by a local committee with the involvement of the MPGA, and opened in May 1885.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: St James's Park (District/Circle); Pimlico (Victoria). Bus: 3. 87, 88, 507, C10
London Parks and Gardens Trust