Radnor Park, Folkestone 2752

Folkestone, England, Kent, Shepway

Brief Description

Radnor Park was donated to Folkestone for use as a recreation ground by the Earl of Radnor in 1886. Features include a mock-Tudor lodge, extensive flower beds, tree avenues and a boating lake. It is unclear whether the park is still used as recreation ground.

History

The park was donated to Folkestone for use as a recreation ground by the Earl of Radnor.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

Flowering cherries bring spring colour to the entrance by the mock-Tudor lodge. Later in the year, there are summer roses in the beds around the pedestal drinking fountain which, itself, is now planted with flowers in season.

Avenues of chestnut, beech and lime trees line a large area used for sport and by visiting circuses. Permits are available for fishing the upper pond.

In a separate area by Victoria Hospital is a model boating pond and a dell where paths follow the Pent stream through a shady valley.

Features
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Avenues of chestnut, beech and lime trees line a large area used for sport.
  • Boating Lake
  • Description: In a separate area by Victoria Hospital is a model boating pond.
  • Planting
  • Description: There is a dell where paths follow the Pent stream through a shady valley.
Drinking Fountain
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Folkestone
History

Detailed History

Formerly a recreation ground, Radnor Park was donated by the Earl of Radnor to Folkestone Borough in 1886.
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust