Kingsnorth Gardens, Folkestone 1948

Folkestone, England, Kent, Shepway

Brief Description

Kingsnorth Gardens is a public park of unknown size on the site of a former clay pit. Features include terracing, a pergola, clipped yews and an Italian Garden.

History

The land was given to the town of Folkestone in 1926 for the development of a public park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

This is a garden of three descending terraces. In front of the shelter at the west end is a garden of bedding, pergola and pillar roses. Below is an Italian garden with formal ponds on either side of a fine weeping ash tree; clipped yews emphasise the geometric design of lawn and paving. In the lowest garden, beds of seasonal flowers vie in spring with shrimp-pink Acers (Acer pseudoplatanus ‘Brilliantissimum').

Paths follow the sides of the garden where the banks are planted with drifts of herbaceous plants backed by flowering shrubs and sheltering trees of contrasting foliage colour. The garden is floodlit on summer evenings.

Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: There are three descending terraces.
  • Planting
  • Description: Italian garden.
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Description: Formal ponds in the Italian garden.
  • Flower Bed
  • Description: In the lowest garden, beds of seasonal flowers vie in spring with shrimp-pink Acers.
Pergola, Hedge, Terrace
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Folkestone
History

Detailed History

A worked-out clay pit, renewed with fresh earth, was the gift of Lord Radnor to Folkestone in 1926. Kingsnorth Gardens, named after a former tenant, were created with the traditional panache of ‘Floral Folkestone' and continue to uphold that reputation.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References