Preston Grange stands unseen behind high hedges at the southern edge of Preston Candover village. The two-storey building dates from 1910.
A manor by the name of Preston Candover first appears in the reign of Edward III and was held by the Hoyvilles. In 1368 John de Hoyville granted the manor to William de Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester. During the Civil War the estate fell into disrepair. In 1739, Preston Candover manor was acquired by William Guidott MP for Andover, and in the mid 1750s he built Preston Candover House.
From its position on the small south west facing promontory extensive views are gained from the house across the downland landscape. The entrance drive is bordered by sculpted cylinders, lozenge shapes & hedges of mixed evergreen shrubs - yew, laurel, box, and leads into a large parking area to the north front. A bungalow and tennis court are located on the northern boundary of the garden beyond which is an overgrown conifer nursery, The drive continues on into a paved courtyard giving access to the rear of the mansion and to an ‘Elizabethan‘ knot garden (possibly for herbs) enclosed to the south by a large glasshouse.
The gardens of Preston Grange have been laid out in a manner inspired by the ‘Tudor Garden' in compartments of different styles enclosed by sculpted evergreen hedges each leading into the next. From the south front - a wide paved terrace from the house is retained and bounded by well groomed evergreen hedges. Steps lead from this terrace down to a large oval grass plat with herbaceous borders enclosed by evergreen hedging. East of this plat is another terrace garden with herbaceous borders and steps in the retaining wall lead down into another grass area/bowling green and thence via infomal paths into the parkland. The park lies to the south east, and is small and secluded from surrounding roads.
Landscape Planning Status:
Preston Candover Conservation Area
Area of Archeological Potential
Preston Grange lies within the Conservation Area of Preston Candover.
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: November 2009
Detailed description contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- Preston Candover
A manor by the name of Preston Candover first appears in the reign of Edward III and was held by the Hoyvilles. In 1368 John de Hoyville granted the manor to William de Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester. In the reign of Richard II the bishop granted it to Thomas Warenner; it descended to the Sandys family and remained theirs until the late sixteenth century or early seventeenth century. In 1636 it was sold to George Long, who lived in London during the Civil War and assisted the Parliament with money. While in London his house and land in Preston Candover was laid waste.
In 1739, Preston Candover manor was acquired by William Guidott MP for Andover, and in the mid 1750s he built Preston Candover House. In 1887 the Preston House Estate was acquired by Henry John Hope, and on his death most of the estate lands were sold, Preston House itself was let and Mrs Hope had a new mansion built on a south west facing site at the southern edge of the village. Preston Grange is a brick built replica of a Tudor manor house using old materials taken from derelict buildings in the village.
Detailed history contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
Hampshire Gardens Trust