Armsworth Park (also known as Armsworth Park Farm, Armsworth House)4971

Old Alresford, Alresford, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

Armsworth Park House has a small park landscape dating from before 1810. It was expanded in the mid-19th century with the development of a new house and garden. The southern part of the new house was demolished mid-20th century, but the layout of the park and gardens remain relatively intact and retain much of their original character.

History

A susbstantial house had existed on the site since at least 1791. Armsworth House dates from around 1862. The property is still privately owned.

Detailed Description

The 1870 25" Ordnance Survey map shows the 1862 house surrounded by gardens and an orchard. There was a kitchen garden to the north and the lodge to the south-west, with a serpentine drive through a well-treed park. The 1896 Ordnance Survey map shows a belt of trees planted along the north boundary of the park, the Long Plantation, probably planted for shelter and to visually enclose the park.

There have been alterations to the house with the removal of the southern part, some time between 1961 and 1977. However, the layout of the park, garden, and grounds has changed very little from that shown on the 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps, although now in divided ownership. The drive remains in the same position, most of the park is still grazed pasture with a number of parkland trees and it is still enclosed by woodland belts and hedgerows including to the north by the Long Plantation. The parkland trees are mainly oak with some beech, lime, ash, and sycamore. Many of the original garden features have been retained and the original front door steps.

Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shelter Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The southern part of the new house was demolished in the mid-20th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Old Alresford
History

Detailed History

Armsworth Park House is Grade II listed mid-19th century house set within a parkland of about 20.25 hectares (50 acres). On Milne's map of 1791 a substantial house and other buildings are identified as Lower Harmsworth in the possession of the ‘Hon. Cap'n. Rodney'. This house was probably on the site of the present Armsworth Park Farm. This is later named as Armsworth House on the 1st edition 1" Ordnance Survey map (dating from around 1817).

The Tithe map of 1839 shows the estate was owned by Lord Rodney, the owner of Old Alresford House, who retained the woodland but let out the house and grounds and two fields to General Thackary. The rest was let to Richard Bailey Whitear. The pasture field named ‘The Lawn' suggests that a small park had been established which confirms that indicated on the Ordnance Survey map of around 1808.

About 1862 a new house was built to the north probably for Thomas Alderman Houghton. It was described ‘as in the Italian renaissance style surrounded by a well timbered park of fifty acres'.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here