The cemetery is situated just to the north of the colonial style white and green-roofed development of Capel Gardens and Pinner Court built in the 1930s. To the front are Boulevard Gardens, two areas of public gardens either side of the cemetery entrance, laid out with a low retaining wall to the pavement and backed by shrubs to the private housing behind.
Pinner New Cemetery was dedicated on 13 May 1933.
Visitor FacilitiesNov/Dec: 9am - 4.30pm; Jan-Mar/Oct: 9am - 5.30pm; April/Sept: 9am - 7pm; May-August: 9am - 8pm
Detailed DescriptionPinner New Cemetery was dedicated on 13 May 1933, and was laid out to designs by Borough Architect, S W Richardson. Its entrance is elegantly set back from the road and has stone gate piers, wrought iron gates with lanterns, and a gothic lodge. The axial drive to the chapel is lined with horse chestnut trees and, unusually, deciduous planting strongly predominates in the cemetery. There are a small number of oak trees that pre-date the cemetery and much planting of birch, cypress, sycamore, cherry and hawthorn. Among the monuments there is a notable red granite armchair grave of Susan Dunford, who 'left her chair vacant' in 1954.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p284
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HRW034
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsNov/Dec: 9am - 4.30pm; Jan-Mar/Oct: 9am - 5.30pm; April/Sept: 9am - 7pm; May-August: 9am - 8pm
DirectionsTube: Pinner/North Harrow (Metropolitan) then bus. Bus: 183
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust