The cemetery is walled on two sides with gate piers and iron gates topped with fleur-de-lys and flanking railings, but its low brick boundary wall along Paines Lane has lost its railings. It is laid out with a simple layout of cruciform walks, with no chapel of lodge, and among its trees are yews and a pair of cedars.
Paines Lane is an old route existing from at least Tudor times. The cemetery opened in 1859/60 and was established here when efforts to enlarge Pinner's parish churchyard of St John's to provide burial ground for non-conformists were unsuccessful. The cemetery closed to burials in 1924.
Visitor FacilitiesNov/Dec: 9am - 4.30pm; Jan-Mar/Oct: 9am - 5.30pm; April/Sept: 9am - 7pm; May-August: 9am - 8pm.
Detailed DescriptionPaines Lane Cemetery opened in 1860, a modest cemetery without chapels or lodge and having a simple layout of cruciform walks. It was established here when efforts to enlarge Pinner's parish churchyard to provide burial ground for non-conformists failed. Among those buried here was Admiral Nelson's daughter Horatia. The cemetery was closed to burials in 1924.
C Webb revised ed of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994; Joanne Verden 'Ten Walks Around Pinner', (The Pinner Association) 1999 ed.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HRW031
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsNov/Dec: 9am - 4.30pm; Jan-Mar/Oct: 9am - 5.30pm; April/Sept: 9am - 7pm; May-August: 9am - 8pm.
DirectionsTube: Pinner (Metropolitan). Bus: 183, H11, H12, H13 (walk)
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust