The bandstand in the south-west corner dates from the original layout, and the Pavilion, built in 1888 was originally used as a refreshment pavilion and grandstand.
The site was first used for recreational purposes in 1860 when a cricket pitch was laid down by the local church. As a result of the efforts of R Melville Beachcroft, Treasurer of Paddington Cricket Club, land was purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Paddington Estate. In 1888/9 Paddington Recreation Ground was laid out and opened to the public, money having been raised for purchase of a larger area under an Act of 1893, which reserved at least 4a for general use, the rest was leased out for sports. The Paddington Recreation Act enabled the Vestry of Paddington to officially acquire the Ground to 'provide the residents with a public recreational ground'.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Maida Vale, Kilburn (Bakerloo). Bus: 16, 16A, 28, 31, 36, 97