Old Beaupre 2484

Cowbridge, Wales

Brief Description

Old Beaupre has the remains, now largely earthworks, of extensive formal gardens belonging to one of the more important 16th-century houses in Glamorgan. These include terracing, walks and ponds. The whole complex has a delightful setting in the peaceful Thaw valley.

History

The main block of the house and the gardens date from the 16th century.

Detailed Description

Features which can be identified include a raised grass terrace backing onto the curtain wall, parts of walls, banks and ditches to the north-east of the house and a series of ponds which are now mostly silted up.
Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The manor has several ranges, and is in a ruined state. It has been substantially modified over several centuries.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Raised grass terrace.
  • Pond
  • Description: Series of six ponds, with a further circular pool at the end. Most are now dry.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Llanfair
History

Detailed History

Old Beaupre is a 16th-century house to the south of the village of St. Hilary. The house belonged to the Basset and Mansel families, who changed the manor house into a renaissance mansion. There is a written description of the fish ponds and deer park at the site in 1578, but there are slim traces of these features and the associated gardens on the ground.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References