Llanmihangel Place (also known as Plas Llanmihangel)2119

Vale of Glamorgan, Wales

Brief Description

Llanmihangel Place is an exceptionally rare survival, intact and largely unaltered, of a formal garden and orchard of the 17th century, probably with earlier, 16th-century elements. It is complete with terraces, steps and yew-lined walks. The situation is unspoilt, in a hidden valley with adjoining outbuildings, church, stream and former fishpond.

History

The main components of the building were constructed during the ownership of James Thomas, from 1551.

Visitor Facilities

Open to groups of 20 or more by arrangement. History tour of the house and Victorian Tea. Telephone 01446 774610
Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The house has two, three and four storeys and dates from the mid-16th century. Further blocks were added in the late-16th and early-17th centuries.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: Stone barn and stable block, contemporary with the 16th-century house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: Long rectangular fishpond.
  • Stream
  • Description: Canalised stream.
  • Orchard
  • Description: Former orchard in a walled enclosure.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Level grass terrace adjacent to the house.
  • Planting
  • Description: Terraced garden, which replaced the walled courtyard at the front of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Description: Yew-lined walks are attributed to Sir Humphrey Edwin, who took over the estate in 1685.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Open to groups of 20 or more by arrangement. History tour of the house and Victorian Tea. Telephone 01446 774610
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Llandow
History

Detailed History

The house is a very well-preserved Tudor mansion, which is sited towards the bottom of a south-facing slope. The immediate historic landscape is surprisingly intact, with contemporary farm buildings and a medieval church close to the house. The house is thought to have been built in 1551 by James Thomas, sheriff of Glamorgan, incorporating parts of an earlier house. The property passed to the Edwin family, then to the Wyndhams, then to the earls of Dunraven with only minor changes being made to the fabric of the building. As such, the original house has survived remarkably intact.

The gardens have also survived almost in their entirety. The formal layout dating from the 16th and 17th centuries is still intact, the grounds having been neglected over several centuries and therefore not improved in line with changing fashions.

The layout of the gardens is shown on an estate map of the 1770s. There is a formal garden with grass terraces on the south-facing slope behind the house. The garden is defined by stone walls. There is an avenue running through the third terrace and geometric patterns within the formal beds. The orchard lies to the west of the pleasure garden, beyond which is a shelter belt. This is in line with the recommendations published by John Parkinson in his garden design treatise, ‘Paradisi in Sole' in 1629.

It is thought likely that the gardens were laid out by the Thomas family in the mid-16th century, with some terracing and the lower terrace steps dating from the late-16th century. Yew-lined walks are attributed to Sir Humphrey Edwin, who took over the estate in 1685. At this time, the fashion was for ‘green' gardens, and Edwin would have been well-acquainted with modern tastes from his previous residency in London.

The evergreens were clipped and well-maintained until the late-19th century, but by the turn of the century the gardens had been allowed to run wild. The garden is now dominated by massive yews and many of the old avenues and paths are obscured. However, the layout and substantial structure of the garden is largely unaltered from its inception, and the possibility of restoration remains.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References